Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sunday Girl



This was the first album I ever bought with my own money. My grandmother and I walked to The Music Box in the little Hamden Plaza in Hamden CT and I gave over my birthday/Christmas/stuff I found in the couch money for this album.

I didn't know it at the time but this punk band, a feature at CBGB's, who hung out with the Ramones and were featured in punk rags for the years coming up to the release of this album, had broken out of the utterly cool, utterly punk yet utterly broke existance to put out this record, which included, among other pop-friendly songs, "Heart of Glass". "Heart of Glass" promptly became a darling of the Studio 54 dance floor and Blondie no longer could move in their punk rock circles. Apparently, Blondie was never really well respected because a) they really couldn't carry a tune b) Debbie Harry was too good looking and classically sexy to be edgy enough for punk rock so I don't know why they were vilafied by a community that rejected them in the first place.

A little more on b) ... whilst Blondie was doing gigs at CBGB, Debbie Harry was told by punk high priestess Patti Smith that she sucked and should never come back to the club again. You know, I've listened to Patti Smith and she may have meant something in the punk era but I think she sucked too and what a thing to say to someone! I thought the spirit and purpose of Punk Rock was too allow for the raw emotion, non-polished music.


What the hell Patti? I personally think that Smith was reacting to the fact that she looked like this------------------------------------------------>


<----------- and Harry looked like this.

So much for Patti Smith being cool. She is just a catty bitch like the rest of us. And don't tell me that Harry sold out the "music" with her looks - of course she did! With the shite band that was Blondie, they wouldn't have gotten anywhere if she didn't. Women suck, they really do, especially to other women that they feel threatened by for whatever reason, real or fabricated.

So, in the true spirit of Sucky CD Sunday, we have discussed a whole lot of topics and not a hell of a lot about the music so my parting words are these...

I still love Parallel Lines. I only have my original vinal copy and I have Heart of Glass on my iPod but I am thinking this is going on my amazon list as soon as I finish this post. So there. Oh, and to those women who feel threatened by me being friends with your husbands (and you know who you are - and I doubt they read this blog but you never know) ... eat your heart out! I pick Harry over Smith every time.

11 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Simone said...

Here's a quote for those jealous wives you speak of:

"Jealousy in romance is like salt in food. A little can enhance the savor, but too much can spoil the pleasure and, under certain circumstances, can be life-threatening."

And as for the music...Heart of Glass is great!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger March2theSea said...

wow..you put this as a sucky disc? Its the bands finest IMO.

Well done.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

jpg - very great quote! I will rob it from you sometime...

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

March - yeah, it doesn't suck for me and for them it is their finest hour ... but some people think Blondie just plain sucks ... they don't know of which they speak

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Simone said...

I love Blondie's Heart of Glass.

Lucy Ricardo: How would you feel if Fred was smoldering with jealousy?

Ethel Mertz: Fred wouldn't smolder if he banged into a blowtorch.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Blondie. They don't suck at all.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Greg said...

i may be in the minority, but punk sucks ass like very few things suck ass.

the idea that you're a crappy musician and can't play an instrument to save your life but you've got a lot of anger and angst so you start a band? how's that?

i think i'll carve into some bloke's skull and call myself a neurosurgeon. what does some old fart doctor know? fuck discipline and craft, why should only the smart ones get to carve up bloke's skulls?

ah, you get the idea...

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Steve H said...

a) i think they were too mainstream to be considered punk
b) this CD doesn't suck at all
c) patty smith does, and has always, given me nightmares

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Greg said...

just to clarify, my previous comment wasn't about blondie [i quite dig ms. harry] -- it was about punk in general. like patty smith, and early clash, and the ramones, and the sex pistols. awful, just awful.

also, i'd like to see a post in the future about this jealousy thing. that needs some more explaining.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once met Patty Smith when I was a bookstore manager. She was promoting her poetry book and she sang a few songs and it was painful to listen to. Her voice hurts me.

And she had a fierce mustache that I couldn't look away from.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Y'all - I Love Blondie! Now you are getting the idea of this blog. I love them but they are not a very good band(aka, they suck as musicians) however, they just have good tunes that you can sing to...
I love the rally for Blondie.

Sage - yeah, punk bands suck unless they a)don't sound so punk or b) are not taking themselves too seriously.

For example - my fav Clash song was "Train in Vain" ("you said you'd stand by your man...) which they didn't even list on London Calling because it was too pop. "Lost in a supermarket" again, good song, very un-punk.

An example of good punk that is a joke - the Buzzcocks, "Orgasm addict" or "Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole" - artist unknown. And the Ramones? Someone had to tell me they were the first punk band 'cause they just seemed - sucky.

Jealousy post coming up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home