Sunday, August 06, 2006

I don't belong to you and you don't belong to me


This blog comes via Simone, making a very special guest appearance here at Sucky CD Sunday! Please join me in welcoming her!

Album - Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1
Artist - George Michael
Produced By - George Michael
Released - 1990

Listen without prejudice? Sure, I can.
Forget Careless Whisper or Wake me Up Before You GoGo! George Michael's follow up cd to his successful "Faith" album was
"Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1" is one of the Best Sucky cds ever! No one really followed the Vol 2. It was a flop. Vol. 1
album made it bigger in the US - as a #8 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in the USA, but only #28 on the UK singles chart.
Devoted mostly to ballads, the one song that should be played at the at high volume levels is the classic "Freedom `90" (#8
Pop, #27 Adult Contemporary, #16 Dance). Freedom 90 is six and half minutes long! The other club classic on the album is
"Soul Free." Perfect examples of 90's club music at its best. Both still are great to listen to on the Ipod. I was never a
fan of club music but when I hear "Freedom '90"- it makes me move, dance, rock, run... I'm sure you do too. Admit it!
By George, he's got... his set of problems. We all know. The drugs, the bathroom issues in public parks, he's got the right
stuff for a rock star. How'd he know his cd titled "Listen without Prejudice" would have so much meaning now?
How did I get attached to this cheesy brit pop post-Wham's cd? Hearing this song blasted in 1990 at a sound check over and
over again. Long story short, our sound guy was a Canadian rocker. A masculine, rugged, husky, Canadian man. And he blasted
George Michael before every show! Freedom 90!To hear the beginning of the song from the tambourine, symbols, into the piano
intro...god it rumbles in your core! You want to get up off your ass and you just want to dance!! The piano repeats and
repeats the same phrase over and over again --- like every pop song should. Sweet as candy.
Don't you also remember that great sexy video that accompanied Freedom? It featured hot supermodels (including Naomi
Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Tatjana Patitz and Cindy Crawford) lip syncing to his song. And no Michael
at all in the video.
The heartache he sings about on the other songs....lamenting...sorrowful lyrics and cracking voice...You feel his pain. A little too sad after hearing happy "Freedom 90". But
he's pouring his heart out! And that's life. you take the good with the bad...
But, it's George Michael!
Side Note: For those Arrested Development fans...isn't great that one of the main character is name and called George
Michael? I crack up every time I hear it!
Where is he now?
George is still in the news. Whether he's being busted for drugs or sueing a photographer. He's still making the news. Blah
Blah if you want to read more go here: http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news/34638663

God, I still love it though!

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

I agreed to host this post because Freedom 90 and George Michael himself is such a perfect candidate for this blog. It is amazing how I can have this song, a song about how changing yourself compromises the person that you are, on my workout playlist with which I am desperately trying to change my appearance on a treadmill. The irony is not lost on me. Nor is the fact that George did most of his best work whilst still struggling "in the closet" - if you could call it that, I mean, we could figure it out - just look at Wham! Freedom seems to have brought a creative pair of cement shoes for good ol' George. So, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Mr. A said...

Freedom 90 is one kick ass song!

I have to admit I enjoy "Praying for Time" as well

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Steve H said...

although he takes a lot of crap, this album is really very good and far too underrated.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger B. said...

YES! Here is an album I really like. Glad I clicked over to check this out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home