Sunday, October 01, 2006

A love song has come into my mind

I don't know anything about this band. Surfing around to find this picture, I learned that the Little River Band is Australian. Go Figure! I pegged them for some midwest, moved to California, hung out with Air Supply and made history type of band. Imagine my surprise when this geographical twist was added to my very limited knowledge.

And hey! Did you know that the Little River Band had 13 top ten hits in the US over a 4 year time period including "Lady", "Lonesome Loser", "Cool Change", and of course "Reminiscing."?

This is one of the most unassuming, underrated, "easy listening" bands of the 70's. If you think that I am using "easy listening" as a derogatory label, think again! I love the entire genre and will put it up against many other musical genres of the time. Yeah, its easy listening. Yeah, your parents like it. So what! They like red wine with dinner and natural fibers in clothing - does that make wine and 100% cotton lame? No! Pog - 1 / People who use "easy listening" as a derogatory term - 0.

Their lyrics are good too. Really good. I mean, this was the era of the singer/songwriter like James Taylor and Jackson Browne, Elton and Taupin, so they had a lot of competition and probably couldn't be put in the same league but if you take another look at them now, they penned some pretty beautiful stuff.

For example ...

"And that Porter tune (night and day) made us dance across the room... it ended all too soon
And on the way back home, I promised you'd never be alone..."

Nice, huh? Then there is this one ...


If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters
There's lots of those friendly people
Showin me ways to go
And I never want to lose your inspiration
Time for a cool change...I know that it's timefor a cool change
Now that my life
is so pre-arranged
I know that it's timefor a cool change
Well I was born in the sign of water
And it's there that I feel my best
The albatross and the whales they are my brothers
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Starin' at the full moon like a lover


Excuse me, I am going to the beach.

5 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Blogger Steve H said...

great job! i really like LRB and play their greatest hits cd often. they were at their peak when i was in high school and the music provides a lot of nice memories.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so great that you are posting all these old albums...omg the memories!!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Simone said...

Loved this! It brings back funny memories. We have taped evidence of me and my sister singing "Reminiscing" in 1990. It was playing at a wedding and it was in the in between time when the wedding party is done eating and the rest of the guest are just starting their dinner. We were the drunken bridesmaids singing the song in our forks like we were on MTV...funny even 20 years later - we still remembered every single word to that song!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Mr. A said...

Honestly,

I Never heard of these guys which is odd considering I like sucky music as much as the next guy!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger melancholic smirk said...

OMG! I love LRB AND Air Supply.

And I'm not ashamed! (standing tall and proud)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home